Saturday, October 12, 2013

Family Rules

I thought that for this week, the concept of family rules was fun to think about. Coming to college where you no longer have your parents is actually a good time to think about what those rules are and decide whether or not you are still going to live by them. There are rules that are spoken and there are rules that are just kinda known.
I've found it quite interesting so far to see how my rules are different from the rules my roommates grow up with. For example, a lot of kids grew up in homes where they weren't allowed to drink from the milk carton so to speak and for my family, I never had that rule. Usually when this is made public to my roommates, it starts a very funny session of anecdotes about the rules we had in our families.
I think that it's important to evaluate these rules once in a while because I think that, from them, we are sometimes able to build an outline of what our family values are and whether or not we want to keep them. For example, my dad insists on being about a half hour early to just about everything. And well, I don't. A value of being early and prompt is still something that I try to keep, but as a newly independent adult, I implement that value to a slightly lesser degree. However, there are some rules I will always stick to. For instance, so long as I am observant enough to notice (I can be a little bit on my own planet sometimes) I will ALWAYS give an elderly person my seat or hold the door open for someone. Courtesy is important to my family and remains important to me.
I think the rules we grow up with are very important because they give us a base start when it comes to our own families and the values we hope to bring to them.

So think about it, what rules does your family have and how many of them do you think you will (or perhaps already do) keep? What values do these rules represent?


No comments:

Post a Comment